Friday 30 November 2007

Baby you can drive my car.......

As a freelance musician, one is left at the mercies of public transport, relying on catching every connection on a train journey, or else spending a night sleeping on a train platform or a small fortune on taxi or B and B are a very real possibility. Turning down work because there is no nearby train station is equally depressing.

Having decided that I have gone long enough depending on public transport for every single gig, I decided last month to finally get a license and a car. Horrid waiting lists in Ireland and 4 years studying in london have hindered this process somewhat, so the best and easiest option was to do t over here.

28 days and 3 lessons after receiving my Provisional license, I am now a fully qualified driver (that must be some sort of record). I was incredibly lucky to get a cancellation test only a week after starting to look and the test itself went very smoothly.

I am now looking for my first car, with the assistance of an old friend of our favorite organ tuners. Reanault Clio, Ford Fiesta or Vuaxhall Corsa have all been suggested as resonable cars which will not cripple me on insurance. Next week I am doing an advanced course which will significantly reduce my insurance cost also. Will keep you updated on my progress as I plan to own my own car within a few weeks. Aren't you proud?......

3 comments:

Mum of All said...

I spend most of my time writing CONGRATULATIONS. But any way, very well done. Don't rush into car purchase before you really know its good....

Viking Longship said...

Well done, and about time...

Don't think that you can come over to us and I'll let you loose on any of our vehicles though... Well, maybe I'll let you drive the lawn mower now that you've past your test!!!!

As for choice of car. I wouldn't recommend a French car for your first vehicle, the Renualt will be more complicated and more expensive to fix than other options. Ford Fiesta and Vauxhall Corsa on the other hand are very good options.. Don't rush in, when you look at a car if you have any doubts, don't like the bloke selling it or have any bad feelings/doubts at all, walk away.

P.S. Are you planning on coming to us for christmas/new years, it'd be great if you could.

the other cold one said...

VL, I suggest you get over and advice the novice car owner on some repair and rebuild techniques, as you did once for his older brother. The first thing you learn with cars is that they eat, with a Capital E A and T, money, and they are prone to getting stolen (Astra) or broken into (mini, but I did forget to lock the door). I agree on the French car front, and remember that there are many, many options out there, get as much info, advice as you can, don't buy the first one you see (i speak from experience, the first mini we saw we bought: it had only one front brake half working, and even when VL came and rebuilt that, every time you hit a cats eye - or a cat for that matter, it jumped violently to the left, owing to the subframe mountings not being attached to the car. Not much fun on a motorway at 70). If the number of previous owners exceeds 6/7 start to worry. On the other hand, a nice middle class recently retired couple selling their beloved 1.3 fiesta, which has been polished in the garage every weekend, will fit the bill nicely, but will probably phone you every month to check on its health....