Monday 19 March 2007

First Snow

View from Hotel room window:
Same view the next morning:

Here is my first update, we arrived in Garmisch almost a week ago, I had forgotten how beautiful this place is, I can see the Zugspitz, the tallest mountain in Germany, from my hotel room window. The weather until today has been gorgeous and warm and just on cue today I woke up to find it snowing, once the clouds lifted this morning I saw that the mountains have changed their close and were wearing white to celebrate a new week.

As we did last year a select group of us have rented bikes, the best and only way to get around this city quickly, a few trips up the neighbouring valleys and mountain tracks have produced some spectacular views and shortness of breath, and a nice graze on my shoulder and hand from when my front wheel forgot to do its job on some gravel. I will work out how to upload pics soon I hope.

Rehearsals are going very well, the sectionals have finished and the whole orchestra have been together for two days now. I am finding my feet as the new official fourth horn of EUYO, every horn on the course auditioned for high horn so someone had to take on this different and sometimes challenging role. I am enjoying it immensely and the horn section is as good as any I have played with in this orchestra.

I am not with a small group who are making a little extra stop in Berlin but instead will be playing in a chamber music concert here before we embark on the quite busy tour schedule.

So, so far it is going really well, must go now to pick up my washing, have a hair cut at the Frissuer and dry clean my suit. Next update very shortly, there is a lot to tell.

2 comments:

Viking Longship said...

Hi,

Glad to hear it's going well. Are you back in London on the 22st of April. I might just be popping by....

Nick said...

Garmisch is a lovely place. Does the tour take you to Colorado Springs? Thre's a great deli there called 'Zugspitze', full of the gorgeous German wives of USAF personnel pining for Bavarian cooking, mountains & oompah bands (erm, sorry, I made that last bit up) . . .