Monday 12 March 2007

Preparing for the Travels

The Beatles gave way for Strauss, who has surrendered to Elgar, while my preperations continue. Once the next load is out and hanging, and the sheets on the bed are changed, I will be running to buy a jacket, new suitcase and some happy crickets.

Tomorrow I am leaving on my four week oddesy of Europe and Kazakhstan. I will be spending 11 days in Garmisch-Partenkirchen in the German Alps, then on to Bolzano in Italy, Wiesbaden, Zurich, Genoa, Bologna, Berlin, then across to Kazakhstan for concerts in Astana and Almaty. I suspect there will be a few other stops on the way to keep us on our toes too.

Meanwhile preparations here are only beginning.

With luck you should be able to see pictures while the tour happens. Highlights will include mountain cycles in Garmisch, Football matches, concert halls, hopefully an Italian beach or two, sun and snow (possibly on the same day, on my previous stay in Garmisch I have cycled to the hall in shorts and a t-shirt to find a fresh layer of snow in the evening)

The orchestra is the European Union Youth Orchestra, conducted by Vladimir Ashkenazy, who also happens to be a rather fine pianist, Sir James Galway will play on his flute, with his wife and Janine Janson will be with us on the Violin.

Keep checking, I am expecting many colorful pictures and storys over the next month, but for now, I'm off to buy some crickets.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A personal good luck and
God bless you for the next four weeks. We are so delighted for you and hope it will be really good, Make the most of it. Looking forward to hearing what you will be playing (Which parts) and hoping you've got your wish.

all love Mum of all.

Anonymous said...

hey bro.sounds fantastic.niamh and I will be in zurich to enjoy your concerts.we've got out tickets.all that needs sortin is the accomodation and train travel but that'll have to wait til the old credit card arrives.good luck and see you in 2 xxx P;S wat hotel wil u be in in zurich??

Nick said...

Wow! This sounds fabulous: best of luck with it. Kazakhstan should be interesting . . . Come & visit Cumbria when you're back!