Monday 4 December 2006

Stella






The latest addition to the clan of mentalists that is my family (see kris kringle blog on Norwegien Wood Page) is called Stella, She is two years old, about 4 1/2 inches long and very hairy.






I got my first tarantula, (she's a Chilean Rose, imported I think) about two months ago, the breed is noted for their docile nature and she has quickly gotten used to being manhandled. Only once has she nipped me a fang, and that was just a playful warning, (her venom is similar to that of a bee)






Her home is a perspex tank, about a foot by 1/2 foot (30cm * 15cm) I guess. She has a water dish and half a flower pot, into which she retreats when startled.






Once she is used to being lifted up (she can really shift when she is shoked and even a small fall would be catastrophic) I will let her roam my room and be better able to show friends.









Stella Roaming my Bed


She eats crickets, who are even more mental than my family, not ones to be allowed wander around the room. Once she grows she will be able to eat locusts and pinkie mice. My issue now is that, due to the small appitite of these animals, most of the crickets I purchase perish before they can be fed to Stella, this is why it is good economy to obtain another two tarantulas, of different breeds for their beautiful colours and varied challanges.





More pictures to follow, I need to borrow a real camera and think about lighting, as it is hard to capture her beautiful shades.

2 comments:

Viking Longship said...

Tell us more,

Do they get used to Humans.

Can they differentiate one human from another (by smell for example) and hence react differently to different people.

Does she react to your presence (for example come out of her plant pot when your near by).

A couple of words of warning,

Letting her roam around your room sounds like a bad idea, doing it when you've got friends there sounds like a recipe for disaster.....

Probably best to leave the top on her tank and leave her well alone when you've had a few......

the other cold one said...

Does mentalists really fully describe us ?? I think not, given the wide range of insanely silly ideas displayed in the other blog!